Milk maid braids are the perfect hairstyle for a hot summer day. They’re also a practical casual up-do for a workout or poolside hairstyle, because the humidity won’t ruin them. I do my hair like this all the time and always get tons of comments on it. It’s super easy to re-create, so I wanted to share a quick milk maid braids tutorial today.
I used hair extensions in this tutorial because I have really thin hair, but if you have medium or thick hair you won’t need them. Let me know if you have any questions.
Supplies needed: bobby pins, hair ties, hair extensions (optional)
- Part hair in the middle all the way to the back of your neck.
- Pull each section of hair in front of your shoulder
- Do a simple three strand braid on each section
- Make the braid larger and fluffier by pulling each section up and out and massaging the braid
- Flip one braid across your head and secure behind your ear with bobby pins
- Flip the other braid across your head and secure behind your ear with bobby pins
- Tuck the tails of braids under the opposite braid and secure with bobby pins if needed
- Finish with hairspray if needed
A few tips: This hairstyle works best on un-washed greasy hair. If your hair is freshly washed you can add some dry shampoo to give your hair texture to prevent fly-aways. Also, if you want your braids to cover your ears make sure to do the three strand braid in front of your ears. If you don’t want the braids to cover your ears, do the three strand braids behind your ears.
Get more tips for creating beautiful braids here and see braided hairstyle tutorials in addition to the milk maid braids here.