The modern day woman wears many hats and I am no different. I’m a mom to a sweet three year old boy, young professional, housewife, and blogger. I truly love all my roles in life and would probably be bored if I didn’t have so many of them. Being a mom is hands down my favorite role in life, which means I need lots of mom friendly outfits in my closet. It’s funny looking back at my perspective of what being a mom would be like when I was in graduate school. I seriously thought I would be ninety percent dedicated to my career and just be a mom on the side. After all, how hard is being a mom anyways……sad I know! Yes, you can totally judge me harshly right now, looking back at my naive, career obsessed early twenty year old self causes me to cringe.
Two minutes after officially becoming a mom all of my life goals and career aspirations changed. All I wanted to do was stay at home with my sweet little newborn boy and be by his side every minute. I didn’t completely throw away my career or professional dreams, but I did alter them a lot. I turned my sights away from a glamorous, high powered position and settled for a position that was less demanding and one I knew I could be happy with. Most of my educational and career mentors told me I was making the wrong decision, but three years later I know it was the right decision and now I have the perfect balance of a respectable part-time career and lots of mommy time. It works for us and I’m happy I made the decisions I did.
Career goals weren’t the only thing that needed to change after I became a mommy. My outfits and wardrobe needed to change too. My mini skirts virtually disappeared, I started growing a collection of comfortable flats, and discovered the need for a cross body purse in every color.
Also I’ve came up with a few rules to follow when choosing a practical and cute mommy outfit:
1. Cotton is your best friend thanks to it’s wrinkle resistant, easy to clean qualities
2. Every mom needs five pairs of mom shoes: comfy sandals, converse sneakers, patterned flats, preppy tennis shoes, solid flats
3. Cross body bags and back packs are always the right purse choice, so you can be hands free
4. Avoid white, but if you must wear white always carry a tide white stick in your diaper bag
5. Any basic outfit can be made more fashionable with a pop of pattern
6. When in doubt go with black skinny jeans. They work well for practically every mommy event.